Wednesday, September 8, 2010

For Or With?

I was challenged recently by something I read in Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest. Without recounting the whole thing, the question posed to me by the Lord as I read "Ozzies" reflection was this (is this - I haven't resolved this yet): Am I looking for Jesus or with Jesus?

Like a lot of people, when I first became a Christian I remember looking for Jesus all the time: at concerts, camps, and conventions; in books, movies and the newspaper; at school, on vacation and at home. I enjoyed finding Him in all of these places at one time or another, and frequently shared those findings with any who would listen.

Now, it's not that we should ever stop looking for Him, but what I feel God speaking to my heart is that if this is all I do, then our relationship hasn't matured nearly enough - it's still largely the same as it was the day I asked Christ into my life.

Increasingly, I believe that one sure sign of maturing in our faith is when we do less looking for Him and more looking with Him. What's the difference? For involves looking all around for evidence of Him ; With means seeing things as Jesus sees them - people, situations, conditions - and hopefully, responding to them more and more as He would and does.

It's fun looking for Him - it's Christ-like to look with Him. I challenge you today, as He is challenging me, to look increasingly with Him at the world around you. When we choose to do so, we'll never be the same, for we will find our hearts moved by the things that move His. And we'll find His ability to use us mutliplied almost exponentially as we become more available to Him, and ultimately, more like Him!