Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A "Not So Secret" Secret

I am privileged to receive thought-provoking emails from some truly great thinkers, preachers and friends! One that grabbed my attention recently stated the following:

"The only advantage the rich have over the poor
is that they already know money can’t buy happiness."

Think about it (I have): While falling into a boatload of money sounds really fun, and we can think of another boatload of things we'd like to do with it, it is a road filled with perils & challenges all its own.

I frequently hear people say, "I know that money won't buy me happiness, but I'd sure like to try!" And as attractive as the scenario sounds, down deep, I think we're all aware that more money is not our #1 need.

The interesting thing about money and it's amazing allure, is that you almost need to have had it to understand that it's not what you need. Thus, the vast majority of us still wrestle with our desire for it, sure that it would help us at least a little.

But talk to anyone who has it (or did at one time) and you'll discover this "not so secret" secret: they were no happier with it than without it. Matter of fact, there's a whole heap of trouble & trial that comes with having more.

Look at what the Bible says regarding this (my paraphrases):
  • Psalm 49:12 - you still die, and have a lot more pressure pushing you there!
  • Proverbs 11:28 - if you trust in riches, you will fall!
  • Proverbs 13:8 - more people are out to get you!
  • Proverbs 23:5 - riches are so easily lost!
  • Matthew 19:23 - it is much harder to trust in God!
  • Luke 8:14 - riches will preoccupy your life!
  • Luke 12:48 - you have much greater responsibility!
  • 1 Timothy 6:9 - there are unimaginable temptations, traps & snares!
  • 1 Timothy 6:10 - wanting more jeapordizes your faith and your life!

What we do need is more of Him...Jesus Christ...for He has promised that, unlike riches, "I will never leave you or forsake you" Hebrews 13:5. Trust in Him will never disappoint us, and we will find that are lives are content...not always longing for more.

Granted, He may choose to bless you financially - nothing wrong with that - but if you count on that, you may easily lose both the blessing and miss the Blessor! I invite you to join me in placing your trust in Christ - no matter what! And I pray that you won't keep that a secret!