Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Big Reveal

I have a confession to make: I really like to watch "Extreme Makeover - Home Edition." Not that I watch it all the time (after all, I am a Cubs fan), but something about watching it just always makes me feel good. Sometimes, schedules and such keep from watching it, and I kind of forget why I love it so much...until I catch the next episode.

About now, some of you are either liking me more or less, depending on your opinion of this show, but hang with me. I've asked myself more than once why this show holds such an attraction for me and I think that finally, I have come up with the answer (or at least an answer): The show hinges on what I call "The Big Reveal."

If you're a fan of EMHE, you know the storyline (it never really changes): Some people who have gone through terrible hardships ask EMHE for a new house, and if their request is accepted, they get a new house built for them that would qualify as a "dream house" for just about anyone watching.

Honestly, many of those applying have gone through things that make my life look absolutely cushy, but while the details differ, the whole idea of suffering and then being rewarded resonates deep within me - and evidently millions of others (as witnessed by the show's longevity and popularity).

So what's The Big Reveal? Come on, you know! It's when the entire family, cast, construction crew & community gather outside the new house and scream, "Move That Bus!" (which until now has obscured the family's view of their new house because of its proximity to them). And the bus drives away, leaving people yelling, cheering, crying, jumping, falling, pounding, etc. with excitement.

And then it hits me...every time...there is a "Big Reveal" coming for all those who have put their faith in Jesus Christ (except on an infinitely grander scale). A moment when, as the Scripture says:


"The Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever"
(1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).

Talk about excitement! All of the things that we've struggled against, labored with, endured through & waited against hope for will suddenly be taken away (a la "Move That Bus!") and everything that Christ has prepared for us will be right before our eyes! A dwelling beyond imagination will be ours, and no one can ever take it away!

And that's why my eyes fill with tears, every time, when the "Big Reveal" occurs; not just because I can't wait for that day, but because I am reminded that this is why I am a pastor...this is why by God's grace, I endeavor to love people and extend His grace to them, unconditionally (I don't always succeed).

Not only do I want to be there at "The Big Reveal," but I want to make sure as many people as possible are there with me. Sure, it's probably a little "longing for home" (my eternal home) that stirs within me at every episode, but it's also a longing to share that home with everyone I can. Interested? I'd love to share it with you!