Seems like no matter where I go or whom I talk to, people are dealing with FEAR. Fears about money, family, jobs, health, politics and the interactions between one or more of those pound us relentlessly from every side.
I am sure that you, like me, have dealt with your share of fear in life - perhaps in this very moment. The antidote? Well, it depends upon whom you talk to. Some escape through their "drug" of choice (alcohol, sex, tobacco) or more subtle things (work, music, spending money). I've not tried all of these, but enough of them to know just how pointless...and hopeless they are.
I'll never forget a particular point in my life where fear was threatening to run rampant - out of control - because of a huge decision I had to make. Quite literally, every waking moment of every day, this decision (and the fear of making the wrong one) pounded on the door of my heart.
My solution? The only one I have found to work...every time. I found my strength in the Word of God - The Holy Bible. I confess that I wasn't always reading it, but I was able to meditate on it because of having put it into my heart years before. The most powerful passage for me in that particular time was this: "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is kept on You" (Isaiah 26:3).
I can't tell you how many times I used this as a shield against the fiery darts of fear that assaulted my heart and mind. It become the rock of truth upon which I stood when the waves of doubt threatened to overwhelm me...and it helped me to withstand them all!
I thought that maybe today you needed to be reminded of some of God's most powerful promises in this arena, so I leave them with you in hopes that your Faith in them...in Him...will triumph over your Fear of what assails you most right now:
- We walk by faith, not sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).
- I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).
- Be strong and take courage, for the Lord your God is with you (Joshua 1:9).
- In quietness and trust is your strength (Isaiah 30:15).
- The peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).
- Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1).
- If God so clothes the grass of the field, will He not much more clothe you? (Matthew 6:30).
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).