If you know anything about Mark Schultz, he has a remarkable gift from God which he displays, more often than not, by writing what I'll call "story songs" - songs which tell a poignant story in usually 5 minutes or less, and nearly always leave you with tears in your eyes (or streaming down your face).
As he sang, shared and ministered, there were a dozen things I could have taken away from that night, but the one that stood out most came from a friend of his who had heard one of Mark's newest songs for the first time. His friend's remark went something like this: "I knew if you stayed around here this would happen - YOU would stop writing songs and GOD would start writing them."
Now, most of us would give about anything to have the kind of gifts and talents that Mark Schultz possesses, but it occurs to me that, no matter what kind of abilities we've been given, the same potential, the same possibility exists for each of us. Think about it; couldn't you take most anything you do and put it into this sentence: "I knew this would happen - if you'll stop _________, God will start _________."
- If you'll stop impressing people with you, God will start impressing people with Himself.
- If you'll stop trying to win all the time, God will start giving you real victories.
- If you'll stop taking care of you first, God will start taking care of you best.
- If you'll stop worrying about tomorrow, God will start improving today.
- If you'll stop living primarily for yourself, God will start showing you the joy in others.
- If you'll stop carrying the hurts of the past, God will start revealing your great future.
See, you have the same potential to touch lives that Mark Schultz does, in your own, God-given ways. Don't underestimate what He wants to...what He can do with you if you'll just let Him.