Wednesday, August 4, 2010

New Things

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did."
I was recently challenged by the above axiom, sent to me from a friend, and it's been sitting on my desk top while I ruminated upon it. I suppose that the corollary to it (a.k.a. "the flip side") would be the more familiar, "Insanity: doing the same things over and over yet expecting different results."

When I look back at the last 50 years (OK - 50 in December), it's amazing as I recount just how true this has been. While it would be foolhardy (and perhaps somewhat boring to you) to recount them all, here's just a snapshot of some of the more memorable ones:
  • To follow God's calling to pastoral ministry, I had to leave the security of the farm life
  • To end up with the wife of my dreams, I had to walk away from the memories of the past
  • To experience the transformational power of cross-cultural ministry, I had to take the leap of faith that God would provide
  • To "step out of the boat" and move to another country, I had to relinquish control over my family
  • To find the home for my family, I had to surrender my ideas of what "success" means in ministry

No, you can't begin to experience "all that God has prepared for those that love Him" (1 Corinthians 2:9) while continuing to do what you've always done. You see, as I read Scripture, I don't ever see God do things the same way twice. He's all about doing a "new thing" (Isaiah 43:19). But He seldom, if ever, prys things out of our grasp - He loves us too much to do so. Rather, He patiently waits for us to let go, and then, only then, can His work continue.

What are you longing for Him to do in your life? While there is no "magic formula," I can assure you that one of the things that must happen is a willingness to do something we've never done before...an attitude that says, "Whatever You ask, wherever You lead, whenever You say 'Go!', Lord, I'm ready to obey."

When He finds us with this heart attitude, only heaven can imagine and measure what He will do both with and for us! Are you ready to make this commitment? I'd love to hear your story!