Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Security

About 6 months ago, I felt led to use a rather unique way to help the people of my congregation grasp that no matter what tomorrow holds, God's Holy Bible has the counsel & direction you need to handle it. Though not an original idea per se, it was a new idea to the people of my church in North English.

Called a "Brown Bag Sermon," every 5th Sunday I invite one of our children to bring me a brown bag with an item of importance to them in it. I promise not to look in the bag until the moment the morning message arrives, then preach a message using what they brought as the focal point.

In my first two "Brown Baggers" things had gone well, but I was a little uneasy about this last one because this particular 5th Sunday fell on the 1st Sunday of Advent. I found myself just a little anxious as I wondered what on earth would be in the bag; would it be appropriate for Advent; and what would I do if it wasn't.

Honestly, I nearly recanted on my commitment, coming up with numerous reasons why I should not do it during Advent. But as the Sunday approached, I felt a very clearly challenge from the Lord as He simply asked, "Do you trust Me?" Now, this wasn't the first time He'd asked me this, but it was probably the most unusual time. I took a deep spiritual breath and said, "Yes, Lord, I trust You!"

On the 5th Sunday of November we had the privilege of dedicating two beautiful children & their parents (which always brings a great spirit to a service). As the 3-year-old handed me his brown bag, the mom simply said, "The most important thing in the world to him is in that bag!" I actually toyed with taking a peek at it early in the service, but, reminded of my declaration of faith to the Lord when He questioned my trust level earlier, I refrained.

At the moment of truth, I reached into the bag and pulled out (drum roll, please)......a blankie! And as only God can do, He honored my trust by helping me over the next 10-15 minutes share with the congregation how, no matter how old we get, we all still need a "blankie" of sorts. We never really grow up, and the needs this 3-year-old has, that make him cling to his blankie, are the very same needs we have at every age compelling us to cling to other things for security. I challenged them to cling to Jesus for their security and not the things this world has to offer.

I even begged the congregation's leniency with Scripture as I reminded them that as Jesus' disciples were about to lose their "blankie" - their security (which had been Christ Himself) - and were quite distressed at Jesus' talk of their "blankie" leaving (His death), He promised them that Someone else would take His place...The Comforter! (The Gospel of John, Chapters 14, 15 & 16).

Scripture IS sufficient to help us, no matter what's in the "bag" of tomorrow, and The Comforter IS sufficient to grant us the security, peace and confidence to embrace each and every day. Unlike the "blankie" that we all sooner or later put away, this Comforter will never leave us or forsake us, but provide what we need when we need it most, everytime!