Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Provision

I've always tried to model a life of faith-filled walking for my kids. You know, the kind of life that doesn't get discouraged by circumstances, is rock-steady in the storm and never hesitates when faced with an obstacle. Most of the time, I do okay with this and I'd like to believe that my kids have a pretty good concept of what "faith-walking" looks like. But every once in a while, God reminds me of just how vulnerable I am to doubt...and then blows me away with His provision once again. Frankly, it's immensly humbling - and a little bit embarrassing - for you'd think I'd have this thing mastered by now...after all, I'm a pastor!

We knew that the rooming arrangement for my college-age son, Jordan, was going to change at some point, as his course of studies was going to take longer than the other 3 guys with whom he'd been sharing an apartment. Every time the topic of finding another place to live would come up, I always assured him that God would take care of him, just as He always did. I was modeling the faith-walkin' life all right...but his deadline was still months away.

Week after week passed, and nothing happened. I talked to Jordan's college pastor (Mark) in Chicago, asking if there was anyone who might be willing to take in a good Christian guy, but with no success. At 2 months to go, I confess that I started to get a little nervous (inside) while assuring my son that God would provide (I hoped!).

At just a little over 1 month to go, I decided that maybe God needed a little help, so I plopped myself in front of the computer and my demi-god, "Google," to see if I could find him a place to live. Within 15 minutes of searching, I was totally frustrated and discouraged with the options, and God spoke quietly but firmly to my heart, "Kirk - this is not the way." So I closed the web browser and recommitted myself to waiting. What was taking God so long!!

Now, I could go into a long story full of details, but suffice it to say that at almost exactly one month out, I received an email from an unknown couple in Chicago who indicated to me that they had felt God leading them to create an apartment in a storage room of their house. They had gone to Pastor Mark and asked if there was anyone looking for a place to live. Understand this: they had never met Jordan, didn't know of Jordan, and didn't know he was looking. Pastor Mark said, "Well it just so happens that I do know of someone."

And here we are - 3 weeks before Jordan needs to move out - being reminded of God's provision...again. A great, godly couple in their 30s, with no kids and some room to spare has opened their home to my son. But it gets even better. They are doing this... for as long as he needs............FREE of charge. WOW! And just as I've chided my son at times, my heavenly Father now lovingly chides me for my fear, doubt, worry and plain old lack of faith.

I don't know what provision you're needing right now, but I invite you to trust Him again. Oh, the Lord didn't give us what we asked for...He gave us more and better. Sometimes that's readily apparent - often times it isn't - but His faithfulness to provide for those who love Him and seek to honor Him (albeit in a vast multitude of different ways) is unshakeable. As the Lord prompted & reminded me, I passed on to my son again the verse that has carried me for 25 years: "I will honor the one who honors Me" (1 Samuel 2:30). Why not make it your verse also?