Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bit By Bit

Several months ago, the Lord layed on my heart the distinct impression that He wanted to do something extra special in our church during the Advent season. I prayed about it, sought His direction, and did everything I could to prepare for His move...though I had only a vague idea of what He wanted to do. The only thing I was sure of was that He was going to move.

I don't have to tell you that 2009 has been the most challenging economic environment in recent history, rivalling the Great Depression for depth and breadth of impact. And yet, God's direction became increasingly clear as Advent approached: He was going to ask me and my church to give of ourselves at an unprecedented level - regardless of the condition of the economy. It seemed daunting, potentially ill-advised, and downright foolish at times to think that in a time of such great need, we could actually give more than ever before.

I began to speak to my church about this challenge. You see, in 2008, on about 1 week's notice, I had decided to ask the church to give on Christmas Eve - a special offering designated entirely for local benevolence. They'd never done anything like that before, but still took in about $450. Not bad, I thought, for our first time out. But I knew that was just the beginning!

Our first goal was to increase the number of shoeboxes going to Operation Christmas Child with Samaritan's Purse. 42 last year...46 this year - a 10% improvement! Next we began to gather mittens for our Mitten Tree, all of which go to children in our school system. Last year, 72 pair...this year, 100 - a 40% improvement. I sensed that our church was not only listening to God's direction, they were actually following it!

Goal #3 was to increase our contribution to the Love Network, intent on providing Christmas for families that weren't going to get it any other way. We had 14 families posted by our Mitten Tree and they were all taken the first Sunday! Ten families last year, 14 this year - another 40% increase.

Finally, Christmas Eve arrived. It rained all day, but sure beat snow or ice, and we had a great turnout. I reminded those attending of our focus in the season, conducted the service and collected the offering. The results? A one time gift of nearly $1300 was received, to be split 50/50 between the food banks of Iowa and Keokuk counties - an increase of nearly 300%!

It was overwhelming to watch God do what He promised He'd do - all because we did what He asked us to. And as great as Advent 2009 was, I have a distinct sense that we've just begun...that we haven't seen anything compared to what God is going to do, if we'll just keep listening and obeying as He leads. Bit by bit, we're getting there - not to some financial or numerical goal, but to living, loving and giving as God did in sending Jesus Christ. And as He continues to do, to the glory of His name!