Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Perseverance

“Let us not become weary in doing what is right, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not get tired and give up.” Galatians 6:9

A very common leisure activity for people in the summer is water-skiing. I’ve always been amazed at the gracefulness of those skilled in this refreshing sport, but never embraced the challenge of trying to do it for myself until after my wife, Tonya, and I started dating. While her parents did not have a monster boat for skiing, it was more than adequate to get my 200# out of the water…and then some. Understand this: Tonya and her family all ski beautifully, and Tonya’s mother skied until she was 70 years old…there were no “skiing slouches” in her family!

Well the day came for my “baptism” of sorts behind the ski boat and frankly, I was nervous. Water and I got along just slightly better than water & electricity do, but I was determined (by vanity & a desire to “fit into” this family) to learn to water ski. I had never received instruction, but simply observed the rest of the family, so with their encouragement to “just stand up after the boat starts pulling,” I donned my ski vest and plopped into the dark, deep, but calm reservoir waters of Mississiniwa Reservoir in Indiana. They assured me that “it’s easy,” but as my father says, “Anything’s easy if you know how!”

Fifteen minutes passed…then thirty…then an hour…I still hadn’t “stood up” while being pulled, and I was getting beat up! Every time I tried to stand, I’d get pulled over the front of my skis and make some pretty spectacular crashes, I’m sure. They began to encourage me with words like, “Guess today’s not your day…we’ll come again and you can start fresh,” but I was determined to persevere.

Finally, at about the ninety-minute mark, the determination (or pride or fear of embarrassment) paid off and suddenly I was up, cruising along and having the time of my life. I certainly needed the rest, so I rode around the reservoir for quite a while before I “wiped out” and was picked up by the boat. I’ll never forget what Tonya’s dad, Bob, said as I climbed into the boat: “I’ve never seen anyone try so long to get up, not succeed, and not give up in my life!”

It was a great day of accomplishment, and I’d love to tell you that my entire life has been characterized by this attitude, but it hasn’t. What I can tell you is that perseverance is one of the great characteristics Christ wants to be a part of our daily lives. It absolutely needs to be in our lives, or we’ll never “reap [the] harvest” that God has waiting for us. I don’t know what you’re facing right now, but I want to encourage you to “not become weary…do not get tired and give up” and persevere until your harvest...it is more than worth the effort!