Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Measure of A Man

I know that it's only been five days since my last post, but a lot is going on and the time is available, so here it goes (short as it may be). While I believe I'm getting some direction in my walk of faith, frankly, I woke up this morning feeling scared again...afraid of the unknown...all of the things I can't control. Been there? I'm sure you have!

One of the interesting things I am realizing is that "fear of the unknown" is quite a misnomer, because frankly, it's about 99% unknown. Matter of fact, the more I know, the more I am aware that I know almost nothing at all. The things that tend to bring me peace, calm, stability and assurance are not known at all - but the regular gifts from my Heavenly Father (on a totally unpredictable, but perfect schedule).

What I do know is that whether my current faith venture "succeeds" or not will depend a great deal on how well I obey...how well I follow where the Lord leads me. Graciously, He doesn't force me to go anywhere (love doesn't do that). But He does bid me to come and follow where He leads, and His paths are always for the ultimate good of both others and myself. So, last week's question remains: Will I trust Him?

I have no idea where the path of obedience will lead me, other than the fact that it will lead me towards Christ...and to be more like Him. The path might bring prosperity, notoriety, influence or power. On the other hand, it might bring want, obscurity, or isolation. Contrary to most thinking, though, what I perceive to be "the destination" won't be at all, for the purpose of this faith walk is not to take me somewhere as much as it is to teach me to walk.

Thus, "success" in this journey will not be measured by the end result, but whether I take the journey at all. If Scripture has taught me anything, it is that "obedience is success." May the Lord find me obedient...wherever it ends up taking me...so that others may see Him in me.