Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Never Know

In case you wondered where I've been, my family was privileged to get to spend Thanksgiving in Indiana with my in-laws...our first holiday gathering since the passing of my father-in-law...and an important time together (without internet access!). Obviously, we're back and that limitation has been removed.

As some of you may know, my son has been looking for a job for several months now. While God has been good to provide seasonal & odd jobs, a stable, full-time position has been elusive to date.

The Lord has been far too faithful for us to begin doubting Him now, or worrying about His provision, but honestly, we do find ourselves wondering just what He's up to in this arena. No answers yet, but a possibilty I'd like to share with you...all for a point.

Just over a week ago, I was attending a Community Thanksgiving service with residents from Highland Ridge Senior Living Community (where I chaplain). Seeing some familiar faces across the room, I went to catch up a bit since it had been awhile since we last talked.

Kindly, they asked about my son's situation (among other things), and I shared that I was praying for an opportunity for him at a local, highly-regarded employer, but I just didn't know anyone on "the inside" with whom to connect. As with many jobs (especially in this economy), you about have to know someone on "the inside" in order to get in.

They proceeded to introduce me to a man sitting in the next row from this employer - a man I discovered had been hired by my father years before! He asked about my son, inquired about his resume, and informed me that he had two positions to fill - immediately. My son has since connected with this company and is up for an in-depth interview next week.

Now, the Hollywood ending would have this all work out and we'd all live happily ever after, but you and I both know that it doesn't always go that way. Frankly, we're encouraged by this turn of events, but have no clue as to how it will work out.

What I do know, and have been reminded of, is that God's timing is always perfect, He is always working on our behalf, and you just never know how He is going to provide. Thus, we should never despair, never minimize the power of a "God-moment," and believe that He is always "working all things together for good" - even the seemingly random moments of our lives. I'll keep you posted!