Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rest - Part 2

When it became clear to me what God had for me to write this week, I was sure that we had talked about this before, and checking past posts, sure enough we had! The fact that He brought it up again obviously means I still haven't "got it," so here's what's on my heart today (and I believe on His heart also).

I've had posted in my office for some time now words from Isaiah 30:15. I draw on them for strength, wisdom and encouragement. But true to American form, while I printed out the whole verse, I continually drew upon only part of it (why do we do this?).

The part I had gotten quite familiar with is the last half, which reads, "In quietness and trust is your strength." Great words, but only half of what God intended for me to get out it. It had challenged me to quiet myself and draw upon the strength that He provides more than once, and I still love it.

But look at the first half of the verse: "In repentance and rest you will be saved..." I don't know about you, but nearly every day I need saving of some type - from errant words, thoughts, deeds, attitudes & desires - usually just from myself! And while quieting myself was a good step in the right direction in achieving this, without the "rest" of the verse (bad pun?), I was still experiencing stress & frustration.

Quieting is good, trusting even better, but without the "repentance and rest" I am going to spin my wheels much more often than I like...or need to. Which means, I need a spiritual tune-up in these areas: turning from what I know to be wrong (the essence of the word "repent" means "to turn away from" - not "do less of" or "tolerate better") and taking...making space to rest.

This doesn't mean just getting more sleep, but disengaging from need-meeting (strategically & opportunistically) and plugging into things that feed me. Family, outdoors, a good movie, a good book and plain old quiet work for me! Unfortunately, for far too long I have far too often treated these things as optional.

I know I need saving...how about you? Why not think proactively with me about really repenting...really resting? Not only will we benefit, but as is always the case with God, everyone else will benefit as well!