Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Circle of Life

The Circle of Life...seems like only yesterday I was taking my toddling boy (now nearly 19) to see "The Lion King" in a little town north of Des Moines, Iowa. Whether or not you liked the movie, it was hard not to be moved as Elton John's lyrical magic resonated "The Circle of Life" to begin the movie...I was physically & emotionally moved by the powerful truth and soaring harmonies of what has now become an Elton John classic.

It's one thing to sing such a song, often times quite another to live it. In the last 2 weeks, I have been privileged to welcome a brand new baby girl into our fellowship of believers. I've also been honored to remember a passionate believer who no longer has to dream about eternity...he's enjoying it now. And in less than 48 hours, I'll be humbled to unite a beautiful young couple in holy matrimony (too archaic? they're gettin' married!).

In all this, I'm reminded of King Solomon's words in the Bible book of Ecclesiastes (yes, I spelled that without looking it up - just one benefit to Bible college). While you may not be familiar with the book, I bet you are with his words: To everything (Byrds fans, "Turn, turn, turn"), There is a season ("Turn, turn, turn"), And a time for every purpose under heaven.

Like so many truths, Elton John was not this one's author, nor were The Byrds, but God Himself speaking through King David's son, Solomon. You don't have to read far in Solomon's book to discover that he had pretty much seen it all: death & life, war & peace (long before Tolstoy), sorrow & joy. And while at times he teeters on the edge of cynicism, you realize he had gained enough perspective to recognize that each season has its perfect place in this journey we call "life."

I have no idea if you, as a reader, are engaged in any of these phases of life or not, but I want to assure you that while some are more fragrant than others, they all fit together as complementary scores in the grand concerto of creation. No matter where you are, I invite you to rest in the knowledge that "The Circle of Life" has as its author God Almighty, and every piece will fit together in its time...perfectly. Enjoy & celebrate each and every one!