Friday, May 21, 2010

W.O.R.S.H.I.P.

Every once in a while, an "older" idea resurfaces in my life, and such was the case earlier this week. This "old" idea (relatively speaking) had to do with Worship - what it is and what it is meant to look like in the life of a Christian. If you are an attender of North English Christian Church, you might even remember us talking about this before.

I think that the reason it came up again was a growing awareness of my own inadequacy at it, and a nudge from God's Spirit that I haven't been doing near enough of it. I'm sure that if I saw what is available to me from God and compared it to what I actually utilize, I would be quite embarrassed that far too often, I settle for far too little; not with what I attain, but in what I seek...what I dare to ask of God (and expect). Worship is no different!

This little acronym has helped me in times past, and I am committed to praying it...to living it...more than ever, lest I settle for "crumbs from under the table" when God has prepared for me a "banquet" beyond imagination! Here goes the acronmyn:

W - Wondering at God's majesty & the beautiful intricacies of His plan
O - Offering myself to Him to be filled, corrected & used
R - Removing the obstacles to my relationship with Him (past, present & future)
S - Submitting myself to Him = beyond offering, to actually yielding any resistance
H - Hearing His voice so that I may maintain direction & purpose in my life
I - Inviting His wisdom so that I do not succumb to "common sense"
P - Proclaiming His name so that there is never a doubt as to Who gets the credit or in Whom salvation lies (not me!)

Not the only definition of Worship on the market, but a clarion call as to what my life should consist of...what it must consist of...if I am going to "glorify God and enjoy Him forever" (Westminster Catechism).

When's the last time you worshipped like this? When you were a worshipper like this? If it's been a while, why not take care of that issue right now - He's waiting for you...for me...like always!