Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Steps & Stops

Infamous Pastor and prayer warrior, George Mueller, is quoted as saying, "God not only orders our steps, but also our stops." Referring to Psalm 37:23, I have to admit that I am a lot more secure in Him being in charge of my steps than my stops. That's probably because I am one who likes to keep moving. Just last week in an editorial to our local paper, I said something to the effect of, "I can't just sit here and do nothing!"

For some reason, it's a lot easier to live a life (in all it's varied forms) that's feels like it's going someplace than to live one that feels like it's in neutral. I'm sure it has something to do with things like self-worth, self-esteem and pride. And frankly, it's a lot easier in my preaching and personal theology to focus on a God who wants us to do something than on One who is begging for us to stop.

How often we've been caught up in the rat-race of our lives and looked at others (who seem to be relatively unconcerned about our latest passion) and thought, "For Pete's sake, don't just sit there...do something!" And granted, there are definitely times to get busy and do something. But I'm sure I'd be surprised at how many times God would like to yell (and at times, often through adversity, He does yell), "For Pete's sake, Kirk, don't do something...just sit there!"

If you read me often, you know that I have been wrestling with what to do...what is the next step God has for me? And I've concluded that for now, at least, He wants me to "just sit here." Now that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm to go inactive (I don't believe that at all), but it does mean to continue to bloom where I am planted. After all, He knows the desires of my heart, and I know that if and when they are best for all involved, He'll orchestrate a change.

In agreeing with Him to stay "stopped" for now, He is speaking fresh volumes to me through more time in His Word, the Bible; and challenging me to pray more directly about things that I know need His touch. You might remember the old adage, "A rolling stone gathers no moss"? Well, if I can stretch an analogy a bit with you, my life needs some "moss" - the kind of growth that comes from being in the "shady, cool, moisture-laden" places of life.

I need the "shadow of His hand" and the refreshment that comes only from His living water and Sabbath rests. And apparently, if I am intent on always stepping, those things have a tendency not to happen. So I need to welcome His stopping, make the most of this season, and prepare my spirit for whatever lies ahead (because when He says "move!" again, I want to be ready).

How about you? Is your life characterized mostly be stepping or stopping? Whichever it is, why not join me in embracing the stops, as something equally essential, and a critical part of God's perfect plan for our lives? Just maybe it's time to let some "moss" grow on your rock as well!