Tuesday, March 24, 2009

About Front Porches...

You might have already wondered why on earth I chose the "The Front Porch" as the name for my blogging adventure. I mean, it has nothing at all to do with being a "Trekkin' Pastor," right? Well, let me throw a couple of thoughts at you and then you can tell me what you think:

I have been blessed with many people throughout my life who have impacted my thinking. One of them, Joe Myers, first introduced the idea of "The Front Porch" to me through his book, "The Search to Belong." In it, Joe proposes that one of the things that has almost completely disappeared from our culture as it has "matured" is the front porches off of our houses. While you'll still find a few, by and large, they have become non-existent. He further proposes that this is indicative of not only a shift in construction, but a shift in our relationships.

You see, historically, the front porch was the safe place to tackle nearly any topic with nearly anybody. More friendly than the street, yet not as intimate as the living room. Weather, politics, markets, schools and sports (to name a few) were all fair game on the front porch. This space also implied to those who interacted there a friendship of sorts, budding though it may be. It was a "safe space & place" - free from both danger and vulnerability. But alas, as we've already mentioned, they are for most people only a dim memory of another time, if that. Unfortunately, for many, the demise of the front porch has in turn led to a demise of any safe place to have those and other friendship-building conversations.

The challenge for me (and for any of you so inclined) is to carve out of our technology-laced world, virtual "front porches" of sorts...thus, places just like or similar to this blog. From here, there is an implied friendship (you've been invited in) yet not a great deal at risk, since we're still separated by our respective computer screens and relative anonymity. Nevertheless, the connection is (or at least can be) significant if we want it to be, for there are no topics off limits, no perspective rejected, and no experience minimized. Here, we are equals, each seeking to explore and learn from this God-given path we're on called "life."

And there it is...kind of snuck up on you, didn't it? What? The connection to the "Trekkin' Pastor." Don't tell me you missed it! You see, each time I venture into this nearly overwhelming world of blogging, I once again choose to explore (like the Starship Enterprise of old) places unknown, ideas undiscovered, and friendships unrealized. Who knows? If not already, we might just become friends and actually grow from one another. So don't be hesitant...come join me on the Front Porch. I can't wait to see what God has us to learn from one another!